Training & Certification
Karate will resume with normal programming.
Texas Isshinryu Karate
Karate is more than punching and kicking. Age appropriate classes develop character values and skills for success at home, at school or at work, and in the dojo. Adults also find stress relief and a way to stay young. Classes for the whole family improve focus, confidence, discipline, fitness, and self-defense. Students can earn their first uniform for free. If you have questions you may call 940-390-0864.
- Ages 5 to 7
4:30 to 5:30 pm
- Ages 8 to 12
5:30 to 6:30 pm
- Ages 8 to 12 and up
6:30 to 7:30 pm
Cost is $50 per month at Denia Rec Center. Sign up for Texas Isshinryu Karate online.
Red Tiger Karate
Red Tiger offers a complete white through black belt program. The junior program develops self-esteem, bully defense, respect for others, and more. Teen and adult classes focus on street self-defense, fitness, and personal development. A white uniform is required and may be purchased in class. For more information, call 817-845-1557.
North Lakes Rec Center
- Ages 5 to 7
Every Friday from 6 pm to 7 pm
- Ages 8 to 12
Every Friday from 7 pm to 8 pm
- Ages 13 and up
Every Friday from 8 pm to 9 pm
MLK Jr. Rec Center
Ages 5 and up
Every Tuesday from 6:30 pm to 8 pm.
Dog training will resume with normal programming.
Family Manners Level 1 - Dog Obedience Class
Instructor Angie Dickinson takes you through the step-by-step process of teaching your canine friend commands such as "sit," "come," "down," "wait," and many more. Ms. Dickinson has over 35 years of dog training experience and is an American Kennel Club (AKC) Canine Good Citizen Evaluator. Only one dog handler allowed per household per six week course. First class is for humans only. Contact Ms. Dickinson at 940-206-7156 for additional information.
Cost is $100 per session at North Lakes Rec Center.
CPR & Red Cross Training
Trainings will resume with normal programming.
This course meets the regulatory requirements for child care workers and teaches first aid, CPR, and AED skills. The American Heart Association ebook must be purchased prior to the class at www.ebook.heart.org.
- First Tuesday of each month
5 pm to 7:30 pm
- $40 per month at MLK Jr. Rec Center
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training (Ages 15 & up)
Cost is $150 per person at the Denton Natatorium.
Learn skills needed to prevent and respond to pool and water park emergencies. Prerequisites will be conducted on the first day of class.
- Bloodbourne Pathogen Training
- First Aid/CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- Lifeguard Training
- Oxygen Administration
- Waterpark Lifeguard Training
- Minimum age of 15
- Swim 300 yards continuously
- Start in the water and swim 20 yards of front crawl or breaststroke, surface return to the starting point with the object, and exit without using a ladder or steps- all within one minute and 40 seconds
- Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only course dates: Bring a lunch each day
American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor Training (Ages 17 & up)
Cost is $250 per person at the Denton Natatorium.
Become an American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Instructor. Online course work is due prior to December 18. Information will be sent out to all registered participants prior to the first day of training. Bring a lunch each day.
American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (Ages 16 & up)
$250 per person at the Denton Natatorium.
Learn to teach Water Safety, Basic Water Rescue, Learn-to-Swim (all six levels) and Parent and Child Aquatics courses. Bring a lunch each day.
- Basic Water Rescue
- Water Safety Instructor
- 16 years old (by last day of class)
- Demonstrate swimming skills consistent with the Stroke Performance Charts, Level 4, by swimming 25 yards of each stroke: front crawl, back crawl, breaststroke, elementary backstroke, sidestroke, and butterfly (15 yards)
- Float in deep water for one minute
- Tread water for one minute